Dark Chocolate Coconut Bites
Let me take you back for a second- imagine it’s Halloween in the early 90s. I’m probably dressed as a black cat (it was my thing). I come home with a pillowcase full of candy and start my sorting ritual with my mom. I would hoard the peanut butter cups and Hershey bars, and I would hand over the Mounds and Almond Joys directly to my mom. Who would want to eat something horrible like coconut?? Not early 90s me, that’s for sure. Wouldn’t get near the stuff.
But now.. coconut and I are BFFs. I couldn’t make it through the day without some coconut oil, coconut butter, coconut chips, you name it. And add some chocolate? I am puddy in your hands.
If you love Mounds or Almond Joy, you’ll be on board with these. Would you be surprised if I said next time I’m going to top them with crumbled bacon? (If you’re surprised, this must be your first time here- so welcome! We eat a lot of chocolate and bacon here.)
- 1¼ cup shredded (desiccated) coconut
- ¼ cup melted coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons honey or maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 ounces dark chocolate
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- thick cut coconut, almonds or pecans for garnish
- In a medium bowl, mix coconut, coconut oil, honey or maple syrup and vanilla extract. Press into mini muffin tins (should make 12-16 bites). Let cool in the freezer for 30 minutes.
- While the coconut cools, melt the dark chocolate and coconut oil. Spoon the chocolate into the molds over top of the coconut mixture. Top with the coconut or nuts and freeze again until firm. Keep frozen. When you’re ready to eat, let cool for a few minutes and then enjoy.