Sweet Sunset Cooler
I’d like to introduce you to your new favorite drink of Summer 2013: the Sweet Sunset Cooler.
I am all about this drink! It really surprised me. I typically don’t buy apricots or nectarines (I have a love/forget-to-love relationship with stone fruit), but I picked some up on a whim and I am glad I did. I don’t know what my deal is with stone fruit.. I always forget how good it is.
Here’s what’s inside the glass: oranges, pineapple, apricots and nectarine. If you want to keep it simple, just add a little ice and water. If you want to step it up a bit, add some ginger ale or seltzer. If you’ve had a long day or you want a fun party drink, add some rum or vodka.
I used my juicer for this, but you can still make it if you don’t have a juicer. You can run the fruit through a blender and then press it through a strainer to remove all of the juices. You could also buy pre-packaged juices, though I’m not sure you can readily find apricot and nectarine juice at your local grocery store. (If you can, lucky you!)
Take advantage of the fresh summer produce and make these coolers for yourself and someone you love this season. Right now, I’m imagining packing them up in Mason jars for a sunset picnic, or just escaping to the backyard for a few sips with my mister. Whenever or wherever, this is going to be my summer go-to drink. Cheers!
- 2 oranges, peeled
- ¼ pineapple, tough skin removed
- 1 nectarine or peach, pitted
- 2 apricots, pitted
- 1 shot vodka or rum (optional)
- ginger ale, club soda, seltzer water or water
- Run oranges, pineapple, nectarine and apricots through a juicer. (If you don’t have a juicer, you can blend the fruit and then strain it to get the juice). Pour the juice into two tall glasses with ice.
- For an alcoholic drink, add a shot of vodka or rum. Then top the juice (and alcohol, if using) with ginger ale, club soda, seltzer water or water to fill the glass. Give it a quick stir and enjoy.