Salted Peppermint Rice Krispie Treats
- ¼ cup unsalted butter or ghee
- 4 cups peppermint marshmallows **There are a few ways to do this. You can make them homemade, you can buy store-bought (Jet-Puffed has a peppermint variety during the holidays), or you can use regular marshmallows with a dash of peppermint extract and a drop or two of red food coloring (optional).**
- 5 cups Rice Krispie cereal
- 2 ounces semi-sweet or dark chocolate
- 3-5 peppermint candies, crushed
- ¼-1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- To prepare, butter a 9×13 baking dish.
- In a large saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. When the butter is melted, add the marshmallows and reduce heat to low. Stir until the marshmallows are melted completely and remove from heat. Add the Rice Krispies and stir until well-coated. Spread the mixture into the prepared pan and press down with a spatula or buttered fingers.
- Next, heat the chocolate in the microwave in 30 second intervals until melted. Transfer into a pastry or Ziplock bag and cut the corner. Drizzle the chocolate evenly over the Rice Krispie mixture (you can also use a spoon to do this, but it will be a bit messier). Sprinkle the crushed peppermint candies and sea salt evenly over the chocolate and let rest until the chocolate is set. Cut into squares and serve.