Coconut Banana Bread (GAPS, Paleo, Grain-free)
I think my kids are getting sick of bananas.
They used to eat them up non-stop, but not lately. No interest at all. Whole bunches used to disappear in a day or two, but now all my bananas are sad, neglected and brown. But that means I get the chance to give them a new life as banana bread, so really, I’m not complaining. I just think it’s weird. I mean, who gets sick of bananas? They are awesome.
Well actually, you know what? I vaguely remember my mom telling me that I used to love bananas as a child and then I refused to eat them again until I was like 19. So.. maybe they were doomed from the start? Oh, and I also hated coconut forever and always, until like 3 years ago when it became my BFF. If you asked my pre-2010-self to eat this bread, I would have definitely said no.
If you asked me to eat this bread right now, I stop you mid-question and help myself.
This banana bread is like a coconut triple threat- coconut oil, coconut flour and shredded coconut all in one place. Drink it with a glass of coconut milk, slathered with coconut butter and you might explode. Or you can just be a normal person and eat it plain. Or toasted with some yummy grass-fed butter. Do what you want, no one’s watchin’!
Are you guys fans of baking with coconut flour? It took some getting used to for me, but now it’s my go-to flour. I love that a little goes a REALLY long way. I mean.. that stuff can suck up some liquid!
Wait! Before you go, this thought just hit me- this bread would be great for cutting into cubes, toasting and then making a parfait with coconut whipped cream, and maybe some fresh pineapple or mango? How great does that sound? I will definitely be looking into that for you ASAP. I want that in my belly now.
Anyone else have an inspired banana-bread-related idea? I’m all ears.
- ½ cup coconut oil, melted and cooled (ghee can be used here as well)
- ½ cup raw honey
- ¾ teaspoon sea salt
- 6 eggs (room temperature is best)
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon pure almond extract (optional)
- ¾ cup coconut flour
- 2 bananas, mashed
- 2 tablespoons shredded or desiccated coconut
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Prepare a standard loaf pan with coconut oil.
- In a small bowl, combine the coconut oil and honey.
- In a large bowl, whisk the salt, eggs, vanilla extract and almond extract. Whisk in the coconut oil and honey mixture. Next, whisk in the coconut flour until completely combined with no lumps. Lastly, stir in the mashed bananas.
- Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan and top with the shredded coconut.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. If your coconut topping is browning fast, tent some aluminum foil on top to prevent burning.
- Let cool completely (or as long as you can wait!) before removing from the loaf pan and serving. Keep refrigerated.