21 Day Sugar Detox, Week Two Observations
We have since finished up with the 21DSD, but I wanted to keep you updated on our journey and how things went. Here are my major observations from week two on the 21 Day Sugar Detox:
- Our cravings and moods were much improved! We got used to eating the allowed foods and didn’t seem to be craving anything different. I think we felt nourished overall and this kept everyone in better spirits.
- Adding extra carbs was helpful and necessary for us. I think this is a big part of our improved moods. We mostly added sweet potatoes (although I found they upset my stomach) and rice as our starches and we didn’t hold back on the apples and bananas. We could have gotten a little more creative with our extra carbs but frankly, I wasn’t up to much more creative thinking!
- The most tiring part for me is meal planning and kitchen clean up. Since we couldn’t really eat any prepared foods, I felt like I had to have every single meal and snack planned to make sure we would stay on track. This is mentally exhausting! Add that to all of the actual meal preparation and the extra clean up and I was really wanting a break from all the work by the end of Week 2.
- The 21DSD can be challenging if you’re on the go. We began to get tired of packing every single food item. I think my hardest meal was lunches, since sometimes I take the kids out to places where we don’t have access to heat up leftovers, so I had to plan out cold lunches for many of our days. I had to make sure to remember to bring enough to nourish all of us, which often times did not fit into our small cooler bag.. just a small detail, but it became inconvenient at times.
So what did we eat this week?
- Tomato Basil Quiche with Bacon, p.104 (I left the bacon out and cooked it separately)
- Eggs with Sausage or Bacon and Veggies
- Pumpkin Pancakes, p. 98 (seen in the cookbook photo above)
- Veggie and Egg Scramble, Omelettes or Frittata
- Sandwiches with Buttermilk Buns- we really enjoyed these! (p. 166 in the additional cookbook)
- Salads with leftover chicken or salmon
- 10 Minute Sliders with Sweet Potato fries and leftover Buttermilk Buns, p. 96 and 166 in the additional cookbook
- Salmon Cakes (from Practical Paleo p. 310) and green beans
- Meatballs with marinara and veggies
- Salmon and Red Pepper Sauce with zucchini, Green beans and some rice (shown in the photo above)
- Mustard Glazed Chicken Thighs (p. 114) with roasted veggies
- Taco Salad
- Homemade Applesauce (using my small batch method)
- Apple Ginger Green Smoothie, p. 49 in the additional cookbook
- Almond Butter Cups, p. 206 (Beware- these are not sweet at all! Totally different taste than a typical PB cup)
- Pumpkin Spice Smoothie, p. 51 in the additional cookbook
- Savory Herb Drop Biscuits, p. 188 (I added cheese and made them kinda Red Lobster-style)
- Yogurt with nuts or bananas (my favorite combo is yogurt, banana, almond butter, cinnamon and a little splash of vanilla)
- Full-fat cheese
- Carrots and celery with almond butter or mashed avocado
- Antipasti-type stuff- olives, pickles, cheese, salami, etc
(Unless otherwise noted, the page references are all from the 21 DSD Book.)
I’ll conclude shortly with a post about our third week. Spoiler alert- we don’t make it the whole way to 21 days. Nobody’s perfect! Thanks for following along with our journey!